Monday, January 16, 2012

Trying out a new supplement

I knew it was going to be a legs night with J, and after two trips to the gym yesterday (I couldn't help it, I was bored!), I knew I'd need a little help to make it through.

So tonight, I tried out a new pre-workout supplement:


This is N.O.-XPLODE. Y'know, like the can says.

I did a fair amount of reading on the subject of pre-workout supplements before jumping in and buying one. There are dozens of them on the market, chock-full of things that help increase performance, feed muscles and delay fatigue. This particular product was recommended by both my brother and J, so after hitting my most recent plateau, I decided to pick some up to have on hand when the urge struck.

The website for N.O.-XPLODE says lots of things about what it contains and what it does, which you can read at the link above. There are many big words that mean things, and they may be interesting to read. But I'll tell you, in my own words, what it did for me tonight.

*It gave me focus. Like, crazy focus. I-could-play-Call-of-Duty-for-seven-hours kind of focus.

*It delayed muscle fatigue, for sure. I was able to get a little more out of my workout before my legs gave up.

*It delayed muscle pain. Last legs day, the burning sensation started early and didn't stop until I got home. Tonight, there was no pain. The legs gave up, but they still don't hurt.

Basically, while sitting here I feel like I could hop up and run a mile. I know that, if I tried, I'd fall over, 'cause yikes. But the focus and lack of burn are pretty excellent.

It's not something I'll use often, probably only for training days to get the most out of my time with J. I don't want to build up an immunity to the effects too quickly. But it's nice to have another tool in my toolbox.

Oh, and as a footnote: it doesn't taste great. I take one scoop in at least 20oz of water, to dilute it. That's how hard it is for me to stomach. It's no worse than my protein shakes, though, which I drink while holding my breath.

All for the good of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment