Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hooray for arms days!

While I tolerate doing legs, I really love my arms training sessions. I can see the muscles build faster than those in my legs, since I carry the bulk of my weight (and fat) in my hips and thighs, and there's the added benefit of knowing that I'll be able to climb the stairs for the rest of the week.

It's also nice to push myself in my cardio the next day. I sweat harder on legs nights, but the rest of the week leaves me feeling like I'm missing something.

During last night's session with J, we focused on triceps and back, and there was a lot of repetition. Let me tell you, it's easy to train your muscles to failure when half your exercises work the same groups. Holy cow.

My least favorite part of the night was the giant set we did (that's three or more exercises, in a circuit, without rest) of chest press, incline push-up, and arm raises with 5-lbs in each hand.

Think 5-lbs isn't heavy? I thought that once. Now? Ha!

After more than a dozen reps of chest press and ten incline push-ups, J's grin when he handed me those weights and said "Do what I do" told me all I needed to know.

Have I mentioned how much I hate it when he grins? Probably. But I do.

Arms extended in front of me, arms to the sides, down. Sides, down. Front, down. Repeat. And then, ha-ha, to the sides and make little circles.

I swore at him. He laughed at me. It's a symbiotic relationship.

My arms ached today, a little, and I exceeded my calories for the day by 200 or so. I seem to do this on the day after training. As long as I maintain my ratios and avoid eating garbage, I allow myself to have a day like this sometimes. It definitely could have been worse.

I also did my cardio tonight. I decided to mix it up a little and put in a mile on the treadmill, two miles on the elliptical, and three miles on the bike. It was a nice change from a plain ol' thirty minute routine, with the added benefit of allowing me to watch nearly a whole episode of NCIS as I swapped around on machines.

When you don't have tv at home, you begin to love the gym for more than just the exercise.

A productive week so far. Looking forward to the rest day tomorrow and some quality time spent on the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment