Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm a cheater

I've started treating my supplements as a crutch.

Instead of eating well all day, I've found myself eating sorta well and resorting to the protein shakes at the end of the day if I have calories left and need more protein. This has led me to make questionable choices.

As long as my ratios are okay, that's the point, right?

Maybe. But it's a dangerous road to go down. While I may be ending the day at the numbers I want, telling myself I can have a carbtastic pasta lunch if I choke down a shake later isn't doing me any favors. It's teaching me to fake it.

Food is a battle for me. It's a battle for many of us. Short-cuts like this allow me to undermine my own progress and make choices I otherwise wouldn't have.

Here's a much-needed reminder to myself: This is a long road. No short-cuts allowed.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for being real with yourself! This is one reason I never wanted to do Weight Watchers a few years back when I had several family/friends doing it. I saw them cheat all the time, relying heavily on processed diet junk and artificial sweeteners. Hey - as long as they were coming in under their number each day, it was ok, right? But they were consuming HUGE amounts of weird, artificial chemicals to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny!

      I've watched lots of people do Weight Watchers, and while I know it works for some people, I feel the way you do. The moral of the Weight Watchers story can so easily be avoided. I think that's why I'm liking my program as much as I am, even though it's a bit of busywork to calculate my protein and stuff. Itemizing the good stuff against the bad teaches me to make better choices. That's what lifestyle changes are all about! :)

      Delete