Monday, February 20, 2012

It was bound to happen

Tonight, while doing arms, it finally happened.

I smacked myself in the head with a dumbbell.

I was flat on the bench, a 15-lb dumbbell in my left hand, doing this triceps extension exercise. J had me doing one arm at a time, and in retrospect I suppose I was trying to hurry through my last set. My arms were aching and I wanted to be done.

Sure enough, on rep number seven, I smacked myself in the side of the head.

J, ever the compassionate one, laughed. "You won't do that again."

Flashback to five years ago, riding a sassy little Thoroughbred in a walk/trot lesson, well below my level but always worth it. In fact, half the students in my lesson were my students. While practicing our circles, I inexplicably lost my balance and toppled off.

"And that's why we keep our heels down, kids! Miss Lisa won't do that again!" My instructor (and best friend) had a good laugh at my expense. We all did.

And so, lying on the bench, I snorted at J and kept lifting. Experience is the best teacher.

My poor, overworked legs got a much-needed rest tonight. I didn't make it outside for my run yesterday, which was just as well. I fatigued quickly on the treadmill and I have a sneaking suspicion I would have ended up pathetically stranded on the side of the road a mile from home had I gone out.

It's only a matter of time before I have to call for a cab to get me home after a run. (Maybe I should teach my kid to drive, after all.)

Tomorrow's workout is going to be a milder sort. Instead of hitting the gym, I'll be at the local roller skating rink. It may not be the vigorous cardio routine as I usually get on Tuesdays, what with my ACL-imposed limitations against going really fast and maneuvering quickly, but it's sure to recruit different muscle groups and will leave me aching all the same.

Another week begins. Game on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! oops! Glad you didn't actually DROP it on your face or something. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete