Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

11:33.

That's the time of my new fastest mile. I did it on Sunday.

I can still count on one hand the number of miles I've run in less than 12 minutes. Slowly but surely, the seconds are coming off.

The most incredible, enrapturing part of this journey is the feeling of evolution. Physically becoming a new person, capable of new things. Different things than I ever thought I'd want to be capable of, but now I do, so badly.

This is why running is addictive. Not only because of the endorphins (which help a lot), but because it can be measured, in little pieces and fractions, in heartbeats.

It's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, yo! The fastest mile I ever ran when I was running was 11 minutes, and I felt like I was SPRINTING the entire freakin' time. I'd say it's because I'm short but we're the same height I believe. Maybe I just suck at running. I also blame Polo for all the problems I'd always have in my right leg while trying to run. Sucker was hard on the right hip. -Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, it is SUCH a slow process, this "getting faster" stuff. When I started running in October, my running intervals were like 4.5mph, and 5mph was like sprinting. Every month or so, I turned up the speed a little. Now, my running intervals are between 5.8 and 6.2mph. On the road, my app told me that I'd hit 8.0 at one point, though not for long. Yikes.

      I never really thought I'd run this fast. I thought maybe I'd just be able to run longer, more than a few minutes at a time. I was sure I'd hit a wall months ago in terms of speed. So I guess I need to keep reserving judgement and see what happens. :)

      Delete