Saturday, March 17, 2012

I'm beginning to see why people like road running

I haven't written much this week, due to a little book called "The Hunger Games" and my inability to put it down until I was done, so here's what I did this week:

I ran. A lot.

Okay, in the greater scheme of things, I didn't set any world records. But what I accomplished this week is important, and I'm going to allow myself to take credit for it.

I started my workout week on Sunday with 2.73 miles logged on the road and 2.24 miles on the treadmill.

On Tuesday, I put in 1.67 miles on the treadmill. (My leg was bothering me and I bailed out, in favor of two miles on the elliptical.)

Thursday was another treadmill day, 3.63 miles. So far, I think this is my highest total yet for one session.

And today, I hit the road again for a run I've been planning for days. I sat down with a mapping program, started at my home, and dragged my route around the neighborhood until I came up with a loop that totaled approximately three miles.

I knew it would be a tough route. I live near a river, and my street slopes down to meet it. I live midway up this hill, which crests and drops back down a block or so behind my building. No matter which direction I chose to start, I would be ending with a climb. The slope continues throughout the neighborhood, too, peaking right smack in the middle of the run.

So I had a choice to make: did I start out my door to the right, away from the river, and enjoy the steeper downhill route? Or did I head left, setting myself up for steeper climbs?

You know me. I picked the steeper climbs.

My goal was to finish the 3.07mi route in 40min, but I didn't quite meet that goal. I finished in 43:28 and was elated just the same. Those hills were hard, and the 20mph headwinds I caught on the straightaway between the two hills made what should have been a relaxing jog into a struggle. It didn't feel as long as it was. The hallmark of a good run.

When we moved here last August, I had this idea that my son and I would take advantage of the walking paths in the area, which stretched for miles along the main roads. Up and over the hill, I said, and down to the corner. Then back home. It's not far!

We tried it once. I made it to the peak of the hill and we had just started down the other side when my body started to give up. We weren't even halfway there when we had to turn back. My son was disappointed, I knew.

Today, I owned that hill. And it's only going to get better.

Right now, I feel capable of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment