Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Surpriiiiise evaluation!

Training with J was tonight, a departure from the usual Monday night session. After last night's mess on the treadmill, I wasn't looking forward to it. Legs. It was bound to be.

"What would you say if I said we should have an evaluation tonight?" These were the first words J said to me tonight.

I must have looked stunned, because he backpedaled. "I mean, if that's okay. It's been 30 days exactly..." and he kept going until I interrupted.

"No, that's fine. I just... that's fine." I blinked. "I usually cram before these things, though. Like, sit-ups every day all week. But, um. Okay!"

I weighed-in, which was very anti-climactic. 226 on the scale today, a bit higher than last week's 225. This puts me down twelve pounds since I started two months ago, which J said is "Awesome!"

When I drop eight pounds the first month and only four the second, I don't feel particularly awesome, but he's the expert here. So we'll go with awesome.

Measurements were mixed. Upper-body measurements stayed roughly the same while I lost inches off the waist, hips, and thigh. No wonder I can fit into my pants again!

The performance part of the evaluation went much better. I maxed out my reps on the leg press and chest press at a considerably higher weight than I did last month. I nearly maxed my lat pulldowns at 15lbs higher than last month. I made gains in the sit-ups, exceeding my previous mark of 50 in one minute, and did likewise in push-ups when I made 41 in one minute.

From the knees, folks. It's how I roll.

My run was average, pulling .89mi in 12:00. Better than last month by .07mi and only slightly off my current mile pace.

Also, I was on the squeakiest machine in the building. Every step was accompanied by the creaking of the belt and a slight rattle as my bulk thumped down on it. It was hot, people. So considering that my zen was thrown off by the unintended rhythm of a noisy machine, not to mention my self-esteem, I suppose I did pretty well.

Overall, a decent night. I want better numbers on the scale, but I keep reminding myself that plateaus are normal and I'm still new to all of this. Fitness is a life-long journey. Two months is nothing.

And really, even if I stick to this comparatively-slow pace of four pounds lost per month, you know what that means? Next year at this time, I'll be down nearly fifty pounds.

I'd be a fool to complain about that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa! Wanted to quick comment to encourage you! I love how you said on this post that fitness is a life-long journey, two months is nothing! So true! I think I tend to think "when I get down to XXX weight..." and figure its maintence from there, but lets face it. We will always have some goals, right? And on Maintence mode, you won't necessaraly have the weight-loss to get your motivation from! Wow. That would be tough for me.

    Well, I go in for my shoulder surgery tomorrow. Actually, 12 hours from right now, they should be cutting into my shoulder. And then I have the long road to recovery after that. And my goal after I don't need to wear the hot, itchy immobilizer sling anymore? to get back to working out!! Keep up the hard work!! --Jen

    ReplyDelete