Thursday, December 29, 2011

Enjoying the process

When I started getting good results early on, this gym business became all about the results. When I didn't see those results, I was upset. I pushed myself harder than I should have.

Today, I re-evaluated what I'm doing. Yes, results are important. But this, it's about the process, because really, what I'm doing here is a process. There is no end point to fitness, not if you're doing it for the right reasons.

When I went into the gym after work today, I took a giant step back. Deliberately. I slowed the treadmill to what I was running a month ago, and instead of pounding my body in pursuit of a faster time, I just let myself run.

For the first time in weeks, I enjoyed it again. Before I knew it, two miles were up, and that was that.

I certainly didn't set any records. I wasn't even paying attention. That was the difference.

I'm sure there will come a time in the near future when I'll run to beat my best time again. In the meantime, I'll appreciate this opportunity I've been given.

And I'll have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment