Monday, December 26, 2011

For Christmas, I got myself a hangover

I know you're jealous.

This year's Christmas was unconventional, a buffet of snacky foods taken at a destination with all members of the family accounted for. It was nice to come and go as I pleased, eating whatever sounded good whenever it sounded best.

But alas, 75% of the foods on display included some form of chocolate. Brownies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate-covered Oreos, chocolate chip bars, chocolate-dipped pretzels, chocolate fudge, chocolate candies of all varieties, etc etc. It was a cheat day, I told myself, so it would be okay to just eat and not count the calories.

I was half right. It is okay to eat sometimes and not worry about the calories. We're all allowed to take a break from the micromanaging.

Where I was wrong was that it really isn't okay to eat whatever I want. When I forget this, my body reminds me.

And so it did early this morning, around 6am, when I first woke up and laid in bed feeling entirely nauseous. It was the sort of barfy feeling where you're not sure that the act of vomiting would help, and so you need to accept that it isn't getting better and you just need to deal with it. I dealt with it by curling up in a ball in an armchair all morning, apathetically watching the ensuing post-Christmas festivities continue around me.

These lessons are hard to learn. This was my second time being acquainted with what garbage food does to the body. I remember being very upset the first time, but hey, it was a new concept. Why I thought I could get away with again, I don't know.

NEWS FLASH! It didn't work. It won't work next time, either, and there will be a next time. And a time after that. But someday, these lessons will stick.

Until then, there will be these posts.

One more weekend left of the holiday season. One more weekend of indulgence to endure before life is back to normal. I think I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment