Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gym forecast: 10% chance of making it there alive

Where I live, we're getting our first appreciable snowfall of the year right now. Half an hour ago, when I looked out the window and saw big flakes lazily drifting through the trees, I thought this would be the perfect time to sneak out to the gym.

As I spun my tires, carefully dragging myself up the hill just outside my complex, unable to see more than a few feet in front of my windshield, I realized that it just might be snowing a little harder than I thought. And so I, a steadfast Minnesotan with no patience for people who whine about the weather, turned around and came back home.

Fitness is worthless if you don't live to see it.

But my resolve has been tested, and if I ever needed proof about how much the gym matters to me, I got it today.

The snow is meant to ease up later this afternoon. When it does, I'll be trudging back out to the car, clearing it off yet again for another try at the gym. If left with no choice, my meager assortment of weights and the sets of stairs in my building give me plenty of opportunities to get a little work done.

Meanwhile, I watch out the window and bide my time. There's much more day ahead!

Edit: I finally made it to the gym around 8pm, after two failed attempts to get there during the day. My younger brother (who is kind, handsome, has a stable job, and is single, ladies) came to push me out of my parking lot - who knew it would be that slippery? - then push himself out of my parking lot after he got stuck as well. One quick shopping trip later, for a shovel and road salt, and I got to the gym. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried a DVD at home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in years! :) I've had a hard time finding a personality that I like in a home fitness program. I used to have the "Walk Away The Pounds" DVDs, and I did like those quite a bit, though it was a little boring (and very, very repetitive). I can't seem to find them and can only assume that they made a run for it during one of my several moves.

    I'd completely forgotten about this option, though, and I appreciate the reminder! I may need to go looking again for something I like, to hold me over on those snowy days!

    ReplyDelete