Saturday, May 19, 2012

A timely update: A new 5K!

Within days of my foot feeling good enough to ditch my overnight brace, I had signed up for another 5K.

Of course I did!

The race was this morning, and it was a cross-country variety, taking place at an area farm. The path wound from pasture and field to wooded areas, all of which was absolutely beautiful.

I set my goal this time around as 45:00. The course description warned of some hills, so I knew I wouldn't be setting any personal records today. Setting out from the starting line, across the first field, I found my pace and got to thinking that I just might make it.

But when I hit the first hill, I strongly reevaluated my time. 'Cause yikes, everyone.

It was always nice to get out of the sun and back into the woods, until I made a turn and there was another hill, rising up in front of me. I told myself that I'd be happy to finish in 48:00.

I never once felt like I wouldn't finish. I doubted, sometimes, if I'd break an hour, like when I came upon the hill shortly after the two-mile mark. It must have been ten or fifteen feet high and steep enough that my upper body was parallel with the dirt as I struggled up it.

Thank goodness I was in the woods, alone. When I reached the top, I wrapped my arms around a tree and just leaned for a bit.

This is why I work on hamstrings.

I'm thrilled to report that I finished the race in 46:39! It was amazing. So amazing.

Slightly less amazing is that my foot is aching a little tonight, so it's wrapped and resting. I have a hunch that Monday will be a legs night, so I'm off running for the week anyway. Two weeks until the next 5K, which will be infinitely more difficult than today.

Memo to me: Pick a flat, boring 5K. It'll make you feel better.

Hooray for another day of running, and hooray for another day of success!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think that's what I loved about being on the ski team - the trails were so beautiful. The scenery and stillness and white snow...the sound of my skis gliding across it - it was sublimely magical. Your post took me right back! I just might have to take you skiing sometime - if I ever get my endurance back, that is!

    Great job on the 5K! Was there even a paved trail? I really hope and pray that PF goes away for good - soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm getting over myself, it's high time I replied! :) There's something about being out in nature, just yourself and the world, that gives peace. It's almost indescribable!

      And no, there was no paved trail at all! The woods were all dirt path with plenty of roots and rocks, and even the flat pastures were uneven terrain. It made me rethink what I consider a "hill", that's for sure! After a few miles, even a gentle slope is a character-building killer! Oof. :D

      Thank you so much for the continual well-wishes, Jenny. It means the world to me!

      Delete
    2. Just saw this one- Lisa, it is my pleasure to comment on your blog. Hopefully I'm not being annoying-borderline-stalker-ish. :) I am genuinely so happy for your success and really enjoy your writing. You are very good at it.

      Believe it or not, in regards to terrain, I was just remembering how in Jr high we had to run that course on the grass rather than a track and how much easier a track is. My mile instantly improved

      Delete