Saturday, May 26, 2012

Jealousy, aka Getting on with it, already

I've struggled numerous times in this journey, predictably dealing with the problems of plateaus and injuries, but only recently have I wrestled with an issue that I never saw coming.

That issue is jealousy.

If you had mentioned that I would get derailed over jealousy and the feelings of inferiority that accompany it, I don't think I would have believed you. I would have lifted my chin and said confidently that every body is different and will see results differently. I would have marched back to the gym and not spared it a second thought.

But coping with friends who are somehow losing enormous amounts of weight in very little time, all while shrugging their shoulders and saying "I don't know how I did it! I just changed my diet a little!" has proven to be a bigger challenge than I could have ever expected.

I'm happy for my friends. Really, truly, and entirely. Weight loss is hard and I applaud anyone who finds a safe way to achieve success. This life is precious and brief. The ability to make it better, in whatever way, is meaningful.

Still, the bitter sadness found a way through my pride and settled into a corner of my heart. My goals have been realistic and attainable. I have worked and sweated and cried. I have injured myself. I have fought.

And I have fallen short.

The inferiority complex I've been harboring has been immensely destructive. I've found myself falling into old patterns. I'm drinking hundreds of calories a day, I'm having impulsive snacks that I immediately regret, I'm eating late at night to fill some void that can't be filled by food. For weeks, I've slid slowly backward.

Yesterday, at long last, I started to break free. I put away the excuses - most of them, anyway - and have begun taking responsibility for myself again. I decided I was done hating myself for these temporary setbacks that I was unfairly labeling "failures".

They're not failures. I'm not a failure.

The good news is that I haven't gained any of my weight back. I have (mostly) kept my calories in check, despite my horrible choices. I was still running, and in retrospect, I can see that I was doing good things. I was just refusing to acknowledge it.

This is why I keep this record of my journey. To give myself credit. Submerged in self-loathing, I forgot that part.

So here I am, being honest with myself. I have lost 41 pounds. Tonight, I weighed in at 197. I ran for more than twenty minutes without stopping.

I ran for two miles without stopping.

Sitting here now, being able to own this success without criticizing myself, it makes everything better. It makes me better.

And that's what this is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Have you seen Bridesmaids? Its my favorite "Jen-put-on-your-big-girl-panties-and-deal" movie. :) its great.

    Hugs for you- life isn't fair and sometimes even when you are doing everything right you just can't attain the success you want because, frankly, much of it is beyond our control. I'm happy you identified this so you can conquor it! (I hope I spelt that right - but you get the idea. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I loooove that movie, and this comment made me go out and rent it this weekend! :D Thanks for the pick-me-up, Jenny!

      Delete