Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This thing, it's like a relationship

The more time I spend in this fitness program, the more I find it to be exactly like a relationship.

At first, it's all excitement. I'm so happy to see the gym, I look forward to every minute in its presence. I giggle when I talk about it with my friends. I glow.

Then, it becomes a habit. I go there every day, and it's okay, but it can be a chore. Sometimes, I just want to go out with my friends.

Slowly, the tedium creeps in. I step in the doors, look at the same old machines, and sigh. I'd rather be curled up on my couch, alone, watching a movie. And why can't I?

The next thing I know, it's a Saturday night. Or is it Sunday morning? I'm creeping to the kitchen. I'm grabbing the cookies I bought last week, "You know, as a reward for all my hard work," and I'm eating them all. Every. Last. One.

I can't face my protein bars. They know what I've done. I'm shamed.

Finally, I realize that this thing I have, this plan and these goals and this gym, it's worth keeping. It just might be the best thing that's ever happened to me. My eyes are opened and I understand. I recommit to the program - to myself - and start over again.

Okay, so maybe my relationship with the gym is more "dysfunctional" than just "relationship", but the point remains. Fitness plans are hard. They're repetitive. They're tiring. But the rewards are greater than any of that. Greater than all of that.

You know the best thing about the gym? It'll never judge you, and it'll always take you back.

Thank goodness for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment