Saturday, July 7, 2012

Passing by on a Saturday

You were the runner: Worn shoes, tech shirt, running cap, Camelbak.

I was me: Sweaty, miserable, less than halfway into my intended four-mile run.

It was just occurring to me that I shouldn't have set out at noon, when the sun was so high and the trees offered no shade. My intervals had already begun to wilt and I was considering turning back.

I had just broken into another run, trying again, when you came upon me at a jog. I tried averting my eyes, embarrassed, but I couldn't help but lift them and smile. I guess I like people too much, try as I might to not.

And you held out your hand, thumb raised, and said with such conviction: Good job, runner!

Then, we were past, and it was over.

I hope that someday, when I'm a fit and accomplished runner, I might come upon someone struggling to make their way around the block, someone with so much determination on their face and desperation in their eyes; and I hope that when I pass by, I have the presence of mind to smile and tell them how much it means.

Because as simple as it seems, it's unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment